After much thinking and aligning I got it within .002, clamped the blocks and mounts so they couldn’t move and started drilling. Tomorrow I’ll unbolt the rear mounts from the engine so I can swing them out of the way and drill the rear holes.
I had this extra instrument hole and I needed to close it up. I thought about how to do it for quite some time. I didn’t want to do the big taper and glass trick like you do for through-hulls but it had to be secure, at least as secure as the instrument that was there. I tapered the hole inside and out so that both sides tapered from large at the opening to small in the middle.
Then I cut a piece of G10 that fit the hole. Luckily my hole saw made a disk that was the perfect size. I tapered this with a sander so it’d fit tight in the hole and did the same with a disk of plywood for the back side.
The inside looks pretty bad but there’s another piece of wood that goes over this and covers up the ugly backing for the fiberglass.
I made some epoxy thickened with cabosil and chopped flock and smeared it on the edges of the disks and on the back of one of them and then put a machine screw in the middle and torqued them down tight. I adjusted the position with a hammer.
When it’s cured I’ll sand it smooth and remove the bolt. Fill the outside with epoxy and microballons, prime and paint to match the already painted cockpit.
I hate to take time away from working on the boat but there’s so much stuff stored in the garage it makes working on boat stuff sometimes difficult so we bought a shed kit and are assembling it this weekend. So far I have smashed my thumb twice and only bleeding from 3 places. I’m not clumsy, just tired.
Look up in the sky! It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s a Yanmar!
Pro-Lift always does an awesome job.
New Engine in its bed. Fits perfectly and plenty of room around it to work on it.
The angle on this pic is a little off but it’s lined up pretty well. Need to raise it about 2cm to get it in plane with the shaft. Now, to buy a new prop shaft!
According to my super knowledgeable friends, the clamps I had used were 1 – not enough and 2 – kind of poopy. I hadn’t known where to find these until Alex W found the link for me at Fisheries. These are the updated clamps on the cockpit drains.
New belts and hoses all around.
New Stainless exhaust elbow from HDI Marine. Great service from those guys. Not cheap but you can pretty much kiss those corrosion issues goodbye.
Just a shot of the remote oil filter and the swanky hoses for it.
Pic of the arm purchased to bring the shift cable in from the back.
More clamp pics.
Pic of the Speedseal life I installed to help with pump life. It has those nice thumbscrews but because of where it’s mounted you have to remove it to swap the impeller anyhow.
WordPress’s image editing suite is kind of janky so as much as I’d like to rotate that top image, it ain’t happening. Anyhow, new clutches installed.
Through-hulls for cockpit drains installed, and the muffler hooked up. I wish those bolts weren’t so long but if I cut them off the nut falls off when I loosen it enough to take it off.
I did cut the extra bolt off here because I thought it’d interfere with adjusting the packing nut. New stuffing box installed.
Here you can see the new through-hulls, valves, and hoses in place. Way nicer than what was there before.
Muffler and packing gland. Once I get the throttle/shifter cables in the engine can go back in. Can’t wait.
Last Saturday it was nice out, unlike the last 6 weeks so I was able to get outside and get stuff done. First order of business is replacing the cockpit drain through hulls. This is a space tucked way up in the stern counter and difficult to fit into. I found that the hoses for the drains were clamped to the old, original, broken off hoses. Previous Owner is always a moron. The number of WTF coming out of my mouth per minute was pretty high on this one. Luckily I was able to peel them off amid all the 5200 they’d been glued up with.
Above you see the setup and below after removing the hose. I understand why this might have happened, with the engine in place this is nearly inaccessible. Still, terrible.1
I also changed the fuel filter. In the pic below you see it as I received it. The hose barb points to the tank. Anyone else see the problem?
Here is a video of the engine happily pok pok poking away.http://www.marieholm261.us/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/img_5012.mov
I also put the new cutless bearing in. I tapped the set screw holes in the sides. The old cutless bearing was held in with 5200 (WTF, PO???) and so I cleaned all that out, heavily waxed the bearing and filled the extra space with epoxy. The shaft in the pic is getting replaced, it has some bad pitting, but I shimmed it into the center of the interior opening where the stuffing box goes so the cutless bearing would be lined up properly.
A continuation of the replacement of the cockpit drain through hulls. I’ve epoxied backing plates in and drilled holes but it got too cold for all the sikaflex and stuff. I’m waiting for another day for that. I’ve also cut holes for 5″ inspection ports in the cockpit lockers for easy access to the valves.
I also took this opportunity move the sink drain since where it was took my entire arm to the armpit to reach with the cabinets installed. Where it is now is much more accessible. More holes to fill, but a safer boat all around.